Flo's Creations

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Last month I went to Disney Land for the first time, "the happiest place on earth," I was frequently reminded. One thing that contributed to that feeling was the music--all upbeat, cheerful songs piped into every square inch of the park. It worked, too. All day I was humming or singing along, and the best thing was as I was leaving, who should I run into but my dear Mary Poppins and Bert singing "It's a jolly holiday with Mary." Happiness personified! ! !

It's a different genre of music, but I get something even better when I'm in church and we're singing worship songs. Joy. Whether old hymns or contemporary songs, when my focus is changed from my present surroundings, thoughts that bog me down, frustration regarding day-to-day events, most Christian music renews my hope, encourages me and changes my mood.

I'm wondering, though, can "genre" apply to music as well as literature?

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • What an interesting question, Floss. Rock, Country, Gospel, Classical .... I guess you can call them genres.

    But as you experienced, music is crucial in setting mood. That's why movies have music in the background for almost the whole running time. In fact, when I watch an old movie, the absence of music is really strange - almost unsettling.

    What I'm looking forward to is the music in heaven, when we'll be singing "Holy, Holy, Holy" with all the heavenly host!! Now, there's something Disney couldn't compete with, no matter how hard they try.

    By Blogger Pam Halter, at 7:01 AM  

  • Absolutely no competition. I, too, am really looking forward to that. The sooner, the better!

    By Blogger Floss, at 3:22 PM  

  • Of course. I think music is tied to literature. In how we write it. And in what we hear when we read it. When God gives you a message, He sets it to music. To say it with just the right lilt, with just the right lyrics.
    I can hear God's song in many people's writings. God will highlight something they said to touch on what I needed to hear most. It's cool when that happens. Like the music at Disney World. Just what you need to hear at just the right time.

    By Blogger Katy Kauffman, at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home