Flo's Creations

Monday, June 16, 2008

I have a unique opportunity to visit Russia for two weeks in September. As part of a small team, my participation will include giving workshops on community and family conflict resolution at a university.

Over the last few years, a friend of mine, along with several others, has gone there and given workshops on topics that include English grammar and idioms, U.S. history and civics, and ethics. The intention of teaching in the universities has been to connect with students who are hungry to improve their English skills, then to spend time with them in the evenings getting to know them better by taking them to McDonalds, bowling, or hanging out at the apartment playing games and eating. Peanut butter is a big hit since it’s difficult to purchase there.

On a note to the team, a young man wrote: “Thank you very much for what are you doing! We very appreciate it! We count dsys until you will come…and try to enlarge the time when you are here...”Another student wrote in a letter, “when I close eyelids I felt sunny day when you visit us.” Is it any wonder my friend returns?

The budget for this trip includes transportation, housing, meals, treating the students, and workshop materials, and amounts to approximately $2500. I’m attempting to raise support by contacting anyone who may be interested in a project of this type. Whether or not you’re able to give financially, I would be grateful for your prayers as I prepare for and venture out to this—for me—strange part of the world.

If you desire to contribute toward this opportunity, or would like additional information, I’d be glad to answer your questions if you reply to this post or the email address on my profile page. Thank you.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • How cool, Floss! I'll be praying about how I can help you.

    Hey, see you in 4 days! Woo Hoo!!

    By Blogger Pam Halter, at 12:03 PM  

  • Hi Floss!

    Pam is a dear friend of mine and she sent me your blog. It is wonderful to hear how hungry these people are for sincere and honest friendship-- may their hearts be open to the Good News!I will be praying for your trip and the new folks you will meet. May the Lord bless you.

    Kim

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:00 PM  

  • Thank you, Pam & Kim. I can guess that you're Pam's illustrator. It would be delightful to meet f2f sometime.

    Floss

    By Blogger Floss, at 8:58 PM  

  • I just got an email from Pam Halter about your blog and book. Very cool. I'll pray for you. Also, if you want, you are more than welcome to check out the possibility of a FIRST Wild Card Tour for your book. To find out more about it, here's the link: http://firstwildcardtours.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger M. C. Pearson, at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home